• Users Online: 278
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2017  |  Volume : 6  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 132-137

Extrapulmonary tuberculosis in colombian children: Epidemiological and clinical data in a reference hospital


1 Deparment of Pediatrics, Universidad Nacional de, Colombia
2 Division of Infectious Diseases, Fundación Hospital de la Misericordia, Bogotá D.C, Colombia
3 Deparment of Pediatrics, Universidad Nacional de ; Division of Infectious Diseases, Fundación Hospital de la Misericordia, Bogotá D.C, Colombia

Correspondence Address:
Eileen Viviana Fonseca Sepulveda
Deparment of Pediatrics, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Fundacion Hospital La Misericordia Bogota
Colombia
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ijmy.ijmy_65_17

Rights and Permissions

Background: The pediatric population is at increased risk of disseminated and extrapulmonary tuberculosis (TB). There is little information on children affected by this entity. The demographic, clinical, and outcome characteristics of the treatment of children with extrapulmonary TB, treated at a national reference institution between January 1, 2008, and December 31, 2016, are described and analyzed in this work. Materials and Methods: This was a retrospective observational study. Cases of extrapulmonary TB were identified, and variables were collected based on each criterion used for diagnosis and treatment outcomes. A descriptive analysis of the variables collected was performed. Results: Ninety-three cases were identified, of which 32 (34.4%) met the criteria for extrapulmonary TB. The mean age was 10.2 years (range 0.8–17 years), and the most frequent site of extrapulmonary TB was lymph node 40.6%, meningeal 21.9%, and ocular 18.8%. Bacteriological confirmation was obtained in 8 cases (25%) while the remaining 24 cases (75%) were classified as cases of clinically diagnosed TB. Two patients (6.2%) died during treatment although their decease was not attributable to TB. Conclusion: The clinical criterion was fundamental to establish the diagnosis. The microbiological isolation rate was low. Molecular biology tools increase bacteriological performance although their extended use is limited by cost. Regional multicenter studies are required to identify the target population and the tools necessary for timely management and treatment.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2030    
    Printed39    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded426    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 1    

Recommend this journal