• Users Online: 801
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 8  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 153-156

Evaluation of thin-layered agar for Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolation and drug susceptibility testing


Department of Microbiology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India

Correspondence Address:
Sridharan Sathyamoorthy Kopula
Department of Microbiology, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ijmy.ijmy_45_19

Rights and Permissions

Background: Tuberculosis (TB) is India's major public health problem. According to the WHO, India harbors the largest number of cases, and TB control remains a challenge in diagnosis, drug resistance, and treatment. We undertook this study to compare the isolation rates of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB) in agar, egg-based media, incidence of multidrug-resistant (MDR), and extended drug resistance (XDR) in MTB. This study aimed to compare and evaluate thin-layered agar (TLA) for the cultivation and drug susceptibility pattern of MTB with the conventional egg-based Lowenstein–Jensen's (LJ) medium and to differentiate atypical Mycobacterium by incorporating para-nitrobenzoic acid (PNB) in the TLA medium. This cross-sectional study was conducted in Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Porur, Chennai. Methods: A total of 68 smear-positive samples were inoculated into TLA (Middle Brook 7H 11) and LJ media with and without antibiotics (rifampicin, isoniazid, and ofloxacin) simultaneously after decontamination by the modified Petroff's method. TLA with PNB was also used to differentiate the growth of nontuberculous mycobacterium (NTM). Incubation was done at 37°C, and reading was taken every 3rd day for 6 weeks in case of TLA and for 8 weeks in case of LJ medium. Results: Out of the 68 samples, 64 (94.1%) grew in LJ, and the growth observed at the end of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6–10th weeks was 0, 12 (18.8%), 10 (15.6%), 14 (21.9%), 15 (23.4%), and 13 (20.3%), respectively. Similarly, in TLA, 65 (95.5%) samples were grown, among which 22 (33.8%) grew in the 1st week and the rest (43 [66.2%]) in the 2nd week. MDR and XDR were observed in 4 (5.8%) and 3 (4.4%) samples, respectively. Seven of them were NTM. Conclusions: TLA is a better medium, with time to positivity ranging from 1 to 2 weeks with drug susceptibility and the pattern is also comparable with LJ medium. Incorporation of PNB in TLA helps in differentiating NTM.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed223    
    Printed16    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded49    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal